Friday, September 26, 2014

Week 3

Every since 12th grade calculus understanding the symbols in sets always seemed a little difficult to me. Yet, after this week I’m beginning to understand that symbols are much more straightforward than English, in a course involving logic. Through the means of doing different exercises, it became obvious that different people can understand the English language in different ways. For this reason symbols are a much better method of expressing a statement.

Also, at the beginning of last week the concept of Venn diagrams was slightly confusing, but I ended up understanding it after the tutorial. This week we were introduced to truth tables, and I definitely prefer this method of comparing statements. Personally, this rectangle diagram makes comparing statements more clear, and although it can get fairly long, I definitely prefer this method of comparing.

To sum it up, this week seemed pretty straightforward to me, and the concepts were fairly easy to grasp. To wrap up the week we finished learning the laws of arithmetic’s that apply in logic, and Morgan’s Law. I like the fact that we are beginning to learn more concrete elements of math in this course, as it helps me relate it to knowledge I had before this course. To be honest, up until now this course seems very out of the box, and is forcing me to think in a different way than just normal math class. Although it is slightly different than what I’m used to, I’m really beginning to enjoy this course. My favorite part so far is definitely what professor Heap was talking about, the rush you get when you solve a difficult problem. I’ve begun to feel that when I fully understand concepts, solve problems, and I’m exciting to keep feeling that rush throughout this semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment